Monday, November 18, 2013

The adventures of cover design

I tried to hire a cover artist. The last time I heard from her was Oct. 22. I don't think I'm going to hear from her again, and I don't know why.

I hear it over and over - if you need help, just ask for it. Oh yeah? Well, I asked for a beta reader - she took my book and I've never heard another word from her. I have money to pay a cover artist - I sent her my current covers and told her I had several more that needed to be done, and I've never heard anything else from her.

I don't get it. I keep hearing how it's hard to get work and no one has enough money. I'm happy to pay people, and I can't get them to work. What the heck is that about?

So I'm going it alone. Well, not completely alone. I've got an artist working on a piece of artwork for a cover, and I've got a photographer friend lined up. I'm counting on these two, because I sure haven't been able to count on any of the others. I've always been the one who, when the chips were down, can't seem to get anyone to do the things I ask, even for money. I'm pretty easy to work with, so I don't understand it. Maybe that's my problem; maybe I should be more demanding. I don't know what the secret is.

Today I've worked on covers for three of the Harper's Cove novellas and started writing the second one. The third one is already past concept and well on its way to being a reality. I know it'll all eventually get done, but right now it feels like too much.

But if I'm not busy enough for it to feel that way, I'm not busy enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please come back to see what's new. I love hearing from you!