Wednesday, July 9, 2014

My Reads: Dark Love by Olivia Howe

The book I chose this week is one in a genre I don't usually read. It's rare that I even open a book with characters under the age of 25, but I was curious about it and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. It's Dark Love by my young friend Olivia Howe.


I didn't really know what the book was about when I started it. I'm not sure what I expected, quite frankly. I just knew that I was curious and wanted to read it. I'd already decided that if I didn't like it, I would say nothing. Olivia is a lovely young lady and I didn't want to discourage her from writing.

I didn't have to worry about that. And it wasn't at all what I thought it would be.

First, it's a Young Adult book. I don't read YAs - I just don't. Second, it's a fantasy romance. Sorry, but the first thing that went through my head was Twilight. And then I found out there was a vampire and I got really discouraged. All I could think was, Oh, great. Another vampire book. How many of those are there?

Turns out there's not another one like this one, at least not that I've seen or heard about. As you well know, I don't give plot synopses or spoilers in this blog. That's just not my style. But I wondered if there would be sparkly vampires. There weren't. That was a relief.

So I dived in. I was surprised at the way it started; not at all like I'd expect a YA book to start. When I got to all the high school parts, I almost lost faith, but I forged ahead, and I'm glad I did. Because somewhere around the end of the first quarter of the book, that thing I love above all else happened: I started to wonder what was going to happen next. See, I have this thing about that phenomenon. It wouldn't have mattered if it was the most poorly-written thing on the planet (and trust me, it was not!). As long as it makes me wonder what's going to happen next, I'm happy. And I was pretty damn happy.

I was even happier as it all unfolded. I was asked last night by a member of my street team which scene was my favorite in the book. I'd have to say when Nina goes to talk to her mother. She's afraid to tell her mother what she knows she has to divulge, but the surprise is on her - her mother already knows. I suspected she did, but I was curious to see how she was going to react, and I liked the way it was written. It was perfect, and the dialogue was very realistic.

Oh, and did I mention there's a witch? There's a witch. Well, not one that you see, but, well, you'll understand when you read the book. Suffice it to say, it made me very happy.

All in all, I liked it. I was pleased with the way it progressed, and I'm curious to read the next one. It's already out, and I haven't had a chance to pick it up, but I will and when I finish it, you'll see it here. I don't know how many books Olivia's planned in this series. I just know I'll read them all. So thanks, Olivia, for a YA that I actually enjoyed! I'm going to one-click Seeing Red!


1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please come back to see what's new. I love hearing from you!