Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Reads: Breaking Kate by Dee Kelly

I’ve started something new, so this is the inaugural entry for this particular new thing. Every Wednesday I will be featuring a book that I’ve read and liked. Let me be really clear: This is NOT a review. It’s simply a way for me to tell you about authors whose work I’ve found meaningful, entertaining, or just plain fun.

So today, for the first time, I’m going to tell you about something I’ve read. For the first go ‘round, I’ve chosen Dee Kelly’s book, Breaking Kate.



This book kind of surprised me. I didn’t really know what to expect when I started it. I’d been told by a couple of people that they really liked Dee’s work, so I went into it with some expectations, but still with an open mind. I also usually read in the erotic romance and erotica genre- wonder why? - so I was afraid this would be too frou-frou for my taste. 

I had absolutely nothing to fear.

First of all, Dee did exactly what everyone is told not to do but, like me, also thankfully ignored: She writes this book in first person point of view, something I love to do. That in itself is quite a feat. And to top it off, she writes it in present tense – another difficult task, and also one which I love to do. Any editor will tell you not to do this. I think that’s a ridiculous tack to take. I find it very effective if done by someone who knows how. And Dee Kelly obviously knows how. If you’ll recall, “that popular trilogy written by a British author” that took the world by storm a couple of years ago is written the exact same way, and it was a bestseller. Further proof that a literary device, when used appropriately by someone who can effectively do so, can be just right for a particular story.

I also liked that the point of view changed back and forth between Kate and Michael. The story was presented from both sides so I could see it knit together, and that was very effective. Most writers can’t pull that off, but Dee managed to do just that, and in fine form too.

I don’t do spoilers, so I’ll tell you what I can. I didn’t expect what happened in the beginning, and I felt every moment of searing, gut-wrenching, heartbreaking pain that Kate felt. I can only describe it this way: If you’ve read my book Laying a Foundation you should remember this. Nikki was talking to Tony about the family that she’d lost and, if you’ll recall, she said of her grief, “Sometimes it hurts to breathe.” That was exactly the same sensation I had when I read the last paragraph of the prologue to Breaking Kate. All that suffering is the same. And it took my breath away.

As the book progressed, I caught what was happening, although it’s not blatant. I’m one of those people who’s always watching for the little signs, and I saw them, so I was pretty sure I knew what was happening, but I didn’t know how Dee would resolve it. What I didn’t see coming was the ending, if you could call it that. It sets the stage for the next book in the series, Catching Kate, out very soon. I’m looking forward to it, and I’m lucky enough to be participating in the release day festivities (thanks, Dee!). My biggest question is about what role Daniel will continue to play in the books. I’m very, very curious about that given the ending of this book.

All in all, I enjoyed Breaking Kate. It was every bit as good as everyone had told me it was. Get a copy now. You don’t have long before Catching Kate comes out on July 7, and you’ll want to have it under your belt before then.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good story thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only bad thing about this series is the fact that the follow up to this book is coming this winter. The next book in the series- Catching Kate- is from Mike's POV up to the end of Breaking Kate. But it is just as good and coming out in a little over a week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please come back to see what's new. I love hearing from you!